Two hills and a sleeping sun.


By some miracle I had found my way from Mexico airport to the bus for Queretaro, carefully repeating a sentence I was taught by the Mexican man who sat next to me on the plane (I repeated it non stop for about 20minutes straight). I bought a ticket without any trouble and before I knew it was heading to Queretaro. The landscape on the way there was composed of hills and plains, dry and barren, with hardly any sign of civilisation. I however, couldn't help but marvel at the beauty and the power of the raw nothingness of it all. The desert land with its Cactus trees and donkeys slowly making there way along the road reassured me that I was in the right country. After passing a few junkyards and ranches the bus neared Queretaro, and the beautiful city was revealed to me.  In the distance, in stark contrast to the cluttered city below, the sun was slowly beginning it's decent from the sky and was an almost purple red, glowing behind the outline of two meeting cliffs. I cannot describe to you how beautiful this sight was for me. As a child I use to draw this exact same sunset, of two hills which would resemble a softly written M with the sun poking its head out right in the middle. The irony of the situation was comforting, and this display of nature gave rest to the frantic butterflies still fluttering in my stomach. The sun sat there for a while in all its glory, so vibrant, so enormous, casting an orange hue on the green landscape below. I couldn't have received a better welcoming from my future home.   I arrived safe, exhausted, relieved, but most importantly excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment